Before & After: Powder Room

It's Friday and I'm kicking off the weekend with a short before and after of our main floor powder room. If you check out our floor plans you can see that the powder room doesn't have any windows, which means no natural light. It made for some interesting photos, because in case you haven't noticed at this point, I'm not winning any awards with my photography skillz.

So please excuse my sub-par photos (at some point I'll figure out lighting and levels) and enjoy the reveal!

Powder Room Before
As you can see in the photo, the color was the same as the rest of the house ... beige. We also had a builder-grade mirror over our pedestal sink.

Powder Room After

We painted the walls and ceiling (although it's really hard to tell in this photo) the same color as the office, Benjamin Moore Cape Hatteras Sands AC 34.

We also switched out the mirror with a sweet Restoration Hardware Outlet find, which I think fits the pedestal sink much better. Eventually, I'd love to see use switch out the sink and toilet for something more square, but it's pretty low on our priority list for now. I'm also debating if I need to put any artwork/decor above the toilet as I don't want it to compete with the large painting on the main wall, but this picture does make it look a little bland.

Yep, I took a picture of my trash can because I love it that much. It's also a great shot of our floors.

Speaking of things I love, I also adore the art we put up in here. It's from Z Gallerie and I'd had my eye on it for a while, but didn't know where to put it. The colors went well with the paint and we had a wall that needed some artwork, so voila.

Like most powder rooms, ours is pretty small and doesn't have any built-in storage. I wanted something that followed the somewhat industrial look we had going on in the great room (our coffee table and bar stools), and found this gorgeous cabinet during the same Restoration Hardware Outlet trip for our mirror. It's the perfect size and gives us enough space to store necessities.

I'll finish up the reveal with a shot of the top of the cabinet. The metal 'D' (for our last name) was found during the same RH Outlet trip. I also display matches (cool, yet practical ... right?) from all of our trips/dinners around the world. It's a fun way to show where we've been. I'm also a HUGE hand towel gal, so I'm glad to have a place we can easily place those.

So the powder room isn't much, but there you have it. I have to confess that during my blog stalking, I'll see other powder rooms that are light and airy with white paint, and I wonder if we should have gone down that route instead of painting the walls a darker greige. I think given the lighter beige color of the rest of our house, the white would have looked a little washed out, but it doesn't mean I'm not envious of those lovely, airy powder rooms of my blog/design heroes. The indecision never ends ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS