goodbye sweet dudley


It’s been a tough week at Here to Home, and it’s been something I’ve dreaded writing about. But I think there’s a level of comfort that comes from talking about it and at this point, I’ll take any comfort in whatever form it comes in.

A week ago, Evan and I came home to find our sweet puppy Dudley had passed away. He was 7-years-old, very healthy and hadn’t given any indication that anything was wrong. The best guess the vet can give us after performing a necropsy is that he died of a stroke. 

Dudley enjoying his favorite pastime, squeaking his toys

Dudley’s sudden and very unexpected passing has absolutely rocked our world as he was such an enormous and important part of our family. We loved him with our whole heart, and he was loved by many of our friends and family – it was tough not to love him as he was the happiest, cutest puppy I’ve ever met. 

Evan and I have been struggling this week working through a lot of emotion. At the top has been heartbreaking sorrow and a lot of grief. We feel so guilty for not being home and staying out later than normal that night. I don’t know if our being home would have made a difference or if we could have prevented his death, but it breaks my heart to think that it could have. We also have a lot of guilt around him dying alone. We desperately hope that he wasn’t in pain or afraid, but instead passed very quickly and painlessly. 

More than anything though I miss him, I miss him so much. Moving into our new house, we had so much excitement about Dudley finally having his yard, about where Dudley’s new favorite spot would be … it’s been devastating realizing that he lived there for approximately 2 weeks. We’re doing our best to work past our emotions, honor his memory, remember the thousands of amazing times we had together and figure out what it means to suddenly be a family of two. I know it takes time to heal, but I hope it comes quickly.

I know these posts are never fun, but if each of you could think of us and him, we’d appreciate it.

Our sweet Dudley bear

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Breanne. From all the pictures you've posted, he seemed like such a sweet puppy. My absolute condolences for you and Evan.

    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely heartbreaking; I can't imagine what you're going through. But knowing how loving my precious pups are and how much they sincerely care for us as their humans, I believe in my heart and soul that Dudley would feel only gratitude for a life with you, peace in passing at home around his favorite smells, and a deep hope for the best for his family in the future.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS